Hofstra University’s Dutch Family Festival, to be held on Saturday, May 7, 2016, is the finish line of Car-less Long Island’s first Bike-to-Work Fashion Parade. The Parade (9-11 a.m.) follows a 6.5 mile loop (2.3 miles for those with less stamina) starting at Hofstra’s North Campus, looping through Eisenhower Park and ending at the Dutch Family Festival, which opens at 11 a.m. and runs through 4 p.m.
Car-less Long Island, an organization started by Sylvia Silberger, chair of Hofstra’s Mathematics Department, believes a Long Island where more people would be comfortable biking to work would be a Long Island with a healthier environment and population. This goal of the parade is to help cultivate a region that is more bike friendly.
Admission to enter the Dutch Family Festival and parking are free. Participation in the Bike-to-Work Fashion Parade is also free, but participants are encouraged to register beforehand. The registration form and more information about the parade can be found at www.Car-lessLI.org/parade. The first 200 registrants who show up for the parade will receive free T-shirts. Participants are also encouraged to dress-up and decorate their bikes. There will be prizes given for the best outfits (both flamboyant and professional) and most impressive bikes.
As always, Hofstra’s tulips will be in bloom (weather permitting) and there will be vendors offering Mother’s Day “shopportunities.”
Among the highlights of the day are
- Children’s carnival games and rides (nominal fees)
- Hofstra Arboretum Plant Sale
- Poetry Reading by the Hofstra English Society (1-1:30 p.m.)
- Hofstra Spectrum Theater performs Alice in Wonderland (2-2:30 p.m.)
- Hofstra Drama Program presents Suessical (3-4 p.m.)
- Performances by Hofstra’s Music Ensembles, including the Jazz Ensemble, Sigma’cappella, Hofstra String Quartet, Hofstra Chamber Choir, Hofstra Vocal Jazz Quartet and Hofstra Big Band (noon-4 p.m.)
- The Dance Program’s Dancers In Schools will present two workshops (1 and 2 p.m.) at 108 Lowe Hall
- Ceramics demonstration and display by the Fine Arts Department faculty and students
- Performances by the Hofstra Cheer Team, Dance Team and Pep Band
The Hofstra Dutch Family Festival, now in its 33rd year, is co-sponsored by the D’Addario Music Appreciation Initiative.
The Festival will go on, rain or shine, outdoors on Hofstra’s South Campus. Call Hofstra’s Festival Hotline at (516) 463-6582 or visit hofstra.edu/festivals or become a fan of Hofstra University Festivals on Facebook for more information and the most up-to-date listings of entertainment.