In time for its 32nd year, the Hofstra Dutch Festival is getting a new name – the Hofstra Family Dutch Festival – and a makeover. This year the Festival will be held on a Saturday – May 9, from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Carnival rides and games for small children are part of the fun, and the focus of the entertainment lineup is Hofstra’s amazing student talent, with a full itinerary of music, theater, dance and even comedy performances taking place on two stages.
Admission to enter the Festival and parking are free. As always, Hofstra’s tulips will be in bloom (weather permitting) and there will be vendors offering Mother’s Day “shopportunities.” The East End Trio will also be back to perform music from the 1960s-2000s.
Among the highlights of the day are:
- Children’s carnival games and rides
- Hofstra Spectrum Theater performs The Three Little Pigs
- Hofstra Drama Program presents What Fools! – a one-hour version of Midsummer Night’s Dream
- Performances by the Nassau-Suffolk High School Jazz Ensemble, the Hofstra Chamber Choir, the Vocal Jazz Quartet, the Hofstra Student String Quartet, and the Hofstra Jazz Ensemble.
- Dancers in Schools – Hofstra’s dance students offer free workshops for children
- Ceramics demonstration and display by the Fine Arts Department faculty and students
- “In the Lines” offers coloring activities for children and adults
- Concerts by the a cappella groups Makin’ Treble and Sigma’cappella, as well as the Hofstra Gospel Ensemble
- Standup comedy by members of Ha Ha Hofstra
- Performances by the Hofstra Cheer Team, Dance Team and Pep Band
- SPiT – poetry in performance
- Hofstra Chess Club – challenge our students to a game
The Hofstra Family Dutch Festival is co-sponsored by the D’Addario Music Appreciation Initiative.
The Festival will go on, rain or shine, outdoors on Hofstra’s South Campus. Call Hofstra’s Festival Hotline at (516) 463-6582 or visit hofstra.edu/Festivals for more information and the most up-to-date listings of entertainment. For vendor information call Jessie Garcia at (516) 463-6580.
Guests may also become a fan of Hofstra University Festivals on Facebook.