WRHU 88.7 FM Radio Hofstra University has been named a finalist in five categories in the 2015 Intercollegiate Broadcasting System (IBS) Golden Microphone Awards, which honors the best in college radio.
WRHU is up for the following awards:
- Best news feature story- Rich DeKorte for “Dave Finn, Golf Fan”
- Best community news coverage- Brianna Borresen for “Heroin Issue on Long Island”
- Best public affairs program- Brianna Borresen and Fran Spencer for “A League Of Our Own”
- Best sports talk program – “The Locker Room” with Anthony Notarile & Anthony Santaneillo
- Best show promo – Dylan Bower & Chris Buckley
IBS honors excellence in programming, air personalities, public service efforts, and outstanding stations. This year’s winners will be announced during the 75th annual International IBS Conference in New York City from March 6-8.
The top 10 percent of submissions in each category were named finalists. Golden Microphones will be awarded to the winner of each category and four top finalists. Silver Microphones will be awarded to the remaining finalists in each category.
WRHU has recently established itself as one of the leading college radio stations in the country. It was ranked number one in The Princeton Review’s 2015 edition of The Best 379 Colleges. Also, the National Association of Broadcasters named WRHU the “Non-Commercial Radio Station of the Year” in the prestigious Marconi Awards competition last September.
Written by Jean Pierre Guzhnay ’17