The Chemistry Department, chaired by Dr. Sabrina Sobel, held its 2014 Alumni & Awards Banquet last night at the University Club. This annual dinner brings together students, faculty and graduates of the program. Students were recognized by the department for academic excellence, and new board members for CSI Hofstra and the student chapter of the American Chemical Society (ACS).
Award recipients included:
- General & Inorganic Chemistry Awards: Sahil Aggarwal, Gabrielle Cabrera, Ryan Davis, Emily Dorward, and Satya Makadia
- The ACS Polymer Education Organic Chemistry Award: Satya Makadia
- The ACS Analytical Chemistry Award: Edward Zhou
- The ACS Inorganic Chemistry Award: Emma Kast
- Sibilla E. Kennedy Award for Natural Science: Alexandra Dougherty
- Departmental Honors: Kristen Brown, Jayni Shumila, Jessica Spinelli, and Brandy Voyer
Also announced were three students who have received fellowships through the newly established Dr. Bruce and Doris Lister Endowed Fellowship in Chemistry Research, which gives Hofstra students majoring in chemistry, biochemistry or forensic science the opportunity and financial assistance to spend their summer conducting research under the mentorship of a Hofstra professor. Beena Biju, Faith Fowler and Edward Zhou will each receive a $3,500 stipend and a grant to cover 50% of their on-campus housing costs.
Other research and educational opportunities recognized:
- Princeton Institute for the Science and Technology of Materials Research Experience for Undergraduates (PRISM REU) Program at Princeton University: Diego Prado
- ACS International REU Program at Strathclyde University in Glasgow, Scotland: Erin Reagan
- Pfizer Summer Scholars: Puja Fernandes
- Phi Beta Kappa Inductees: Puja Fernandes, Mary Rooney and Edward Zhou
Alumni who were in attendance included graduates working in areas such as pharmaceuticals, patent law, academia, and for the EPA. Three graduates, Robert Spieler, Philip Mark and Irene Bossert, all Class of 1964, will be walking in commencement next week as part of their 50th anniversary reunion activities. Bossert was also recognized for having endowed an academic scholarship for a female student majoring in Chemistry.
For more information on the Chemistry Department visit hofstra.edu/Chemistry.
Top image: Dr. Bruce and Doris Lister with Dr. Sabrina Sobel, and Lister Fellowship recipients Beena Biju and Edward Zhou.