Don Resnick: Essence of Place, at the Hofstra University Museum’s Emily Lowe Gallery, features landscapes by the internationally recognized Rockville Centre artist (1928-2008). The exhibition, which opens May 13 and runs through August 15, 2014, includes oil paintings, watercolors and works on paper.
Curated by Karen T. Albert, the Museum’s associate director of exhibitions and collections, Essence of Place conveys the essential and eloquent beauty of the land, sea and sky on Long Island and the Resnick family enclave in Maine. Resnick’s deep commitment to the environment is evidenced through his art, which seemingly urges viewers to protect estuaries, forests, fields and coastlines.
Beth E. Levinthal, executive director of the Hofstra University Museum states, “Don Resnick’s art has the ability to transform the canvas into new realms of quiet tranquility that abound with a wonder at the delicacy of the natural world, or to synthesize experiential strands, based upon his memories of place, into canvases bursting forth with infinite majesty. We are pleased to feature these magnificent works that engage and inspire us all.”
A fully illustrated catalog, Don Resnick: Essence of Place, accompanies the exhibit and features essays by the artist’s son David Resnick, acting commissioner, NYC Department of Design and Construction, and son-in-law, Howard Shaw, president and director of the Hammer Galleries, NYC. An interactive touch screen kiosk in the gallery will provide supplemental material on the artist’s process as well as his traditional artistic training, which was steeped in landscape painting and modernist directions influenced by studies with Raphael Soyer and Oscar Kokoshka.
An exhibition reception will take place on Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 4:30 p.m. in the Emily Lowe Gallery.
For more information about this exhibit and associated public programs please call (516) 463-5672 or visit the Hofstra University website at www.hofstra.edu/museum.
Top image: Marshes, 1983 (Long Island inspired); oil on linen; 40 x 50 in; Hofstra University Museum Collections; Gift of David Resnick and Iwonka Piotrowska.