Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY (April 25, 2013) — The 17th Annual Hofstra Gala honoring Dr. Lawrence Herbert ’51 will be held at an elegantly transformed David S. Mack Sports and Exhibition Complex, North Campus, on Thursday, May 2, 2013. Dr. Herbert is the inventor of the Pantone® Matching System® and former chairman and CEO of Pantone®, Inc. The Hofstra Gala raises more than $1 million for student scholarships and recognizes the University’s top faculty, as voted by students.
The Gala cocktail reception begins at 7 p.m., with dinner and dancing following at 8 p.m.
Dr. Herbert earned a Bachelor of Arts in biology and chemistry from Hofstra University in 1951. He joined Pantone in 1956 as a color matcher, and bought the company in 1962. In 1963, he invented the world-renowned Pantone® Matching System® that has become the standard for global communication of color in the printing, publishing, packaging, graphic arts, paint, plastics, coatings, computer, film, video, textile and fashion industries.
Dr. Herbert has been a generous supporter of the University, as well as a former member of the Board of Trustees who served as vice chairman from 1982 to 1986. He is the benefactor of the Lawrence Herbert Distinguished Professorship at the University.
Hofstra’s 2013 Teachers of the Year will also be recognized at the Gala. Every March, graduating students are invited to vote online for the professors they feel are most deserving of recognition as distinguished teachers. All faculty members who have taught a minimum of three full years at Hofstra are eligible for the Teacher of the Year award. This year’s recipients are:
• School of Communication: Mary Ann Allison, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Journalism, Media Studies and Public Relations
• School of Engineering and Applied Science: Xiang Fu, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Computer Science
• Hofstra College of Liberal Arts and Sciences: Robert P. Guttmann, Ph.D., Professor, Economics
• Health Sciences and Human Services: Corinne M. Kyriacou, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Health Professions
• School of Education: Maureen O. Murphy, Ph.D., Professor, Teaching, Literacy and Leadership
• Frank G. Zarb School of Business: Glen M. Vogel, J.D., Assistant Professor, Accounting, Taxation and Legal Studies in Business
• Maurice A. Deane School of Law: Juliana Campagna, J.D., Associate Professor of Legal Writing
• Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine: Dr. David E. Elkowitz, Assistant Professor, Department of Science Education and Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Attire for the Hofstra Gala is black tie preferred. General admission tickets are $400 each. VIP tickets and preferred seating tickets are also available. Members of the Hofstra community and G.O.L.D. (Graduates of the Last Decade) may purchase up to two tickets at a reduced rate of $200 each. For further information, please contact Kristen Ehrling at 516-463-5339 or visit www.hofstragala.com
Hofstra University is a dynamic private institution of higher education where more than 11,000 full and part-time students choose from undergraduate and graduate offerings in liberal arts and sciences, business, engineering, applied science, communication, education, health sciences and human services, honors studies, the Maurice A. Deane School of Law and the Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine.