The Chemistry Department, chaired by Dr. Sabrina Sobel, honored student academic excellence at its 2016 Alumni & Awards Banquet in May at the University Club. Faculty and alumni were also recognized and board members were announced for CSI Hofstra, a campus organization for students studying forensic science, and officers were named to the student chapter of the American Chemical Society (ACS).
- General & Inorganic Chemistry Awards: Jennifer Buoncore ’19, Ari Fleischer ’19; Georgios Karnesis ’18; Daniel Kim ’18; Andrew Ko ’19; Gianna Kroening ’19; Haley Tarbox ’19; Alec Xiang ’19; and Konrad Zegota ’19. These awards were presented to students who completed General Chemistry and Foundations of Inorganic Chemistry with an ‘A’ grade.
- The ACS Polymer Education Organic Chemistry Award: David Hirsch’ 18. This award is sponsored by the Division of Polymer Education of the American Chemical Society, and is for outstanding performance by an undergraduate chemistry major in the Organic Chemistry class.
- The ACS Analytical Chemistry Award: Gabrielle Cabrera’ 17. Sponsored by the Division of Analytical Chemistry of the American Chemical Society,this award is intended to encourage student interest in Analytical Chemistry, and to recognize students with an aptitude for a career in this field.
DIC Undergraduate Award in Inorganic Chemistry: Alex Gilbert ’16. This award is sponsored by the Division of Inorganic Chemistry of the American Chemical Society, and is intended to recognize achievement by undergraduate students in Inorganic Chemistry.
- Undergraduate Award in Organic Chemistry: Mary Rooney’16. This award is sponsored by the Division of Organic Chemistry of the American Chemical Society, and is intended to recognize undergraduates who have demonstrated excellence in Organic Chemistry through a combination of research experience, coursework, and a desire to pursue a career in Chemistry.
- Senior GPA Award Winners: Diego Prado ’16, GPA 3.86, and Mary Rooney ’16, GPA 3.95.
- High Honors: Alex Gilbert, major: Chemistry, Research Advisor: Dr. Sobel, Research Title: “Elucidating the Binding Mode of Tetracycline to Zinc(II) by Molecular Modeling and IR Spectroscopy”
Diego Prado, major: Biochemistry, Research Advisor: Dr. Lefurgy, Research Title: “Exploring the Substrate Specificity of Octopine Dehydrogenase from Bay Scallops”
Mary Rooney, major: Chemistry and Classics, Research Advisor: Dr. Huang, Research Title: “Quantitative Elemental Analysis of Tires with X-Ray Spectroscopy”
Botai Xuan, major: Biochemistry, Research Advisor: Dr. Mundorff, Research Title: “Characterization of a putative haloalkane dehalogenase DsgA from Streptomyces ghanaensis”
Angelika Rafalowski, major: Biochemistry, Research Advisor: Dr. Lefurgy, Research Title: “Structural Determinants of Cephamycinase Activity in FOX-4 Cephamycinase”